Thanks so much to a donor who sent us this news. Until the end of the month, CapitalOne will donate $10 ON TOP OF YOUR DONATION! to a registered charity through CanadaHelps!
We have a lot of amazing projects on the go, and would really appreciate you making a small donation and help us take advantage of this fab offer from CapitalOne. All you have to do is take a small quiz and they will contribute $10 to Vulnerable Children Society!
- Take the Charity Fraud Awareness Quiz!!!
- Make a donation to VULNERABLE CHILDREN SOCIETY at the end of the quiz, via the link to CanadaHelps.org.
- Capital One Canada will add $10 to your donation!
Why is CapitalOne doing this? From the CanadaHelps website:
To educate the public about charity fraud, Capital One Canada and CanadaHelps are teaming up during Fraud Prevention Month for the third annual Charity Fraud Awareness Quiz. This quiz will help participants identify the signs of charity fraud to hopefully avoid these malicious schemes. During the month of March, Capital One will also be topping up individual donations made through CanadaHelps.org by $10, up to a total of $25,000 for Canadian charities.
The online Charity Fraud Awareness Quiz is designed to inform Canadians about the risk of charity fraud and how to prevent it. Accessible at http://www.canadahelps.org/CharityFraud/LandingPage.aspx, every participant who completes the quiz will be eligible to have their personal donation made via Canadahelps topped up by $10, thanks to Capital One Canada.
Capital One and CanadaHelps offer the following charity fraud prevention tips:
- Make sure the charity is registered with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and provides you with their charitable registration number. CanadaHelps.org only lists charities registered with the CRA
- Ask to see a charity’s financial statements. These should be readily available to anyone who asks and give you a sense of how the charity spends their money
- Understand the impact the charity has and what difference they make in the community. Charities should be able to give you clear outcomes of the programs or services they provide
- Research the causes you want to support and how much of your budget you want to donate to charity. You will feel less pressured to give when solicited if you have already planned your giving
- Avoid any charity that pressures you into making a donation or isn’t open to sharing more information about their organization